My favourite time of day is not actually during the day at all. It’s late at night when everyone else is in bed sleeping soundly. The house is quiet and still, the mess and toys have been cleared and my kitchen bench is clean. There is finally space.
This is my favourite time to bake. No pestering at my feet or peering into the mixing bowl, no distractions or demands – just me, Ren, silencing my mind with a batch of biscuits.
ALMOND, CINNAMON AND RAISIN COOKIES
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 – 3 tbsp raw local honey or rice malt syrup
4 tbsp coconut butter (or 2 tbsp desiccated coconut and 2tbsp coconut oil or butter)
1/2 cup organic raisins (sultanas)
1 tbsp coconut sugar for scattering over cookies before baking (optional but highly recommended!)
* Preheat oven to 180 dc (350df)
* Process almonds in a food processor until they are a fine flour.
* Add all other ingredients except coconut flour and raisins (sultanas) and combine thoroughly.
* Add coconut flour and process briefly until just combined
* Remove blade from processor and simply stir through raisins.
* Roll into balls and flatten on a lined baking tray
* Scatter a pinch of the coconut sugar over each biscuit. (Note: the ones pictured do not have the coconut sugar)
* Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and the house smells like cinnamon.
These cookies are super healthy and yummy and are a variation of my choc coconut bickies
Check out my Facebook page for more tips, tricks and whole food recipes!